June 25, 2019 Victoria County Municipal Council Highlights
Council minutes for the June 25, 2019 council session will appear on our web site once approved by council. The next council session is Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 5 pm in the Courthouse in Baddeck. Find previous council minutes here.
- Victoria County’s new Tourism & Development Officer Dan Coffin was introduced to Council. Dan is looking forward to working with the council and promoting our beautiful county.
- Council passed the 2019-2020 budget. Property tax rates will remain the same $1.22 per $100 of assessment for residential and $2.12 per $100 of assessment for commercial. See a budget summary here.
- Council proclaimed we are in a Climate Change Emergency. The motion states in part: We are in a state of emergency that requires urgent action by all levels of government including local councils; that human induced climate change stands in the first rank of threats to humans, civilization and other species; and it is still possible to restore a safe climate and prevent most of the anticipated long-term climate impacts – but only if societies across the world adopt an emergency mode of action that can enable the restructuring of the physical economy at the necessary scale and speed.
The Municipality recently passed a Water Supply Upgrade Lending Program bylaw, which helps residents to access low interest financing to complete a water supply upgrade for their property.
The Water Supply Upgrade Lending Program operates on a first come, first served basis until the Program budget for the fiscal year has been allocated. Should there be funding available for your proposed Water Supply Upgrade, you will be required to sign a Water Supply Upgrade Lending Program - Financing Agreement that outlines your roles and responsibilities as Qualifying Property Owner, as well as those of the Municipality.
For more information:
Questions about the new transit service in Victoria County? Answers here: Transit FAQ
Victoria County had two booths at the recent Rural & Remote Doctor Conference in Halifax.
Both the Buchanan Memorial Hospital Foundation and the Victoria County Memorial Hospital representatives report lots of activity and leads.
In the photo below, Dr. Jamie Tribbo, Bev & Graham MacKenzie stand at the Victoria County (south) booth.
Some changes coming... If you follow Municipality of Victoria County sorting guidelines and put recyclables in blue bags, compostables in green bags and garbage in clear bags, you likely will not see any change to the way you do things now.
Beginning October 22, 2018, we can no longer accept non-compliant waste that does not follow our Solid Waste by-law.
Have questions about the changes? Click here: Compliance 2018
Looking for a copy of our sort sheet? Click here: 2018 Sort Sheet
Want to read our Solid Waste By-law? Click here: Solid Waste By-Law
Great news! The ReUse Centre is back up an running for the 2019 season. Is your non-for-profit looking for a new way to raise money? Apply today to run the Victoria County ReUse Centre. Open to not-for-profits across Victoria County.
Committment is 4 hours of your time each Saturday and your group gets all the money raised during that time! Fill out an application and your non-profit could be next!
Please note: Effective April 1, 2016 credit card payments for tax and water accounts will be processed by Paymentus, a third party company.
TO PAY BY CREDIT CARD:
Once you click the PAY NOW button below, you will be directed to Paymentus Corporation, the third party company that will process credit card payments. The page will prompt you to provide your name, email address and phone number. Please make sure to have your tax or water bill account number. Paymentus will add a 1.75% service charge to the payment total.
If you do not have a valid email address or wish to pay through telephone payments, please call the Paymentus toll-free line at 1-855-748-6067.
PAY NOW with a credit card.
Other Payment Options:
Victoria County TAX and WATER bills can also be made in the following ways:
• Cash - please do not send cash through the mail.
• Cheque – made payable to 'Municipality of Victoria'
• Debit card
• On-Line Banking
• At the Tax Office in the Courthouse at 495 Chebucto Street, Baddeck