The next meeting of Victoria County Municipal Council will be held at the Court House, Baddeck, at a date to be determined, following the October 17, 2020, Municipal Election.
Council Re-Cap Sept 28, 2020
• Council opened with applause & thanks for the hard work of Councillors Wayne Budge (34 years) & Merrill MacInnis (12 years), both of whom are retiring from council.
• Council accepted the annual audit of the Municipality’s finances, as presented by auditors from Grant Thornton.
• The Cape Breton Partnership presented their Cape Breton First campaign – a shop, buy, eat local campaign to encourage Cape Bretoners to think first of their local businesses. Carla Arsenault, CEO of the Cape Breton Partnership, highlighted that local Cape Breton businesses donate 2.5 times the amount big box stores donate to local non-profit fundraising campaigns. She encouraged all to spread the word with #cbfirst hashtag on social media shares.
• More than 400 participants have voted on photos encouraging residents to snap a picture of a trail walk or a walk in nature. The project is one of Victoria County’s Active Living program.
• Council will send a letter to TIR with the following concerns: multiple shoulder washouts in Ingonish due to the amount of rain that fell prior to hurricane Teddy, signage required near the post office in Iona and thanks extended to TIR for repairs on roads in Bay Road Valley and Washabuck.
• During the recent visit of the HMCS Shawinigan, a plaque was presented to Council, which will be displayed beside the HMCS Baddeck bell in the courtroom. A photo of the plaque as well as a photo of the new Victoria County Volunteer Firefighter 25 Year Service award pin is below.
Council minutes are posted on the Victoria County website, the day following the meeting (during the COVID-19 pandemic). Find more council minutes here: https://www.victoriacounty.com/2020-council-minutes.html
This was the final council session of the 2016-2020 Victoria County Council. The next council session will be in November for swearing in of the 2020-2024 municipal council. Date will be determined & announced when decided.
Don’t forget to vote!
In times of crisis it is important that residents have access to trusted, timely and accurate information to ensure their own safety and that of their family and loved ones.
In response to this need, Victoria County has chosen Voyent Alert! as the communication service provider for these kinds of events.
Voyent Alert! is a multi-purpose communication service used to send alerts to residents, businesses, and visitors during critical events like extreme weather, fires or floods, etc.
How to Register:
Registration for the service is FREE, simple and totally anonymous. There are 4 ways to receive alerts:
• SMS Text
• Voice to Landline
• Voyent Alert App
Click here to register: https://voyent-alert.com/community/?page_id=217
Mobile App Users: Download and install the Voyent Alert! app from the Apple or Google Play app stores.
For more information: Voyent Alert Frequently Asked Questions
By order of the provincial government, non-medical masks are mandatory beginning July 31, 2020. All visitors to any municipal Victoria County site are required to wear a mask.
In addition to wearing a mask, please continue these very important Covid-19 safety measures:
You may notice a slight change at our Baddeck site. The Jim Bradley Recycling Depot was officially unveiled by Mr. Jimmy Bradley himself this morning. He has collected more than 877,100 plastic refundable bottles and raised more than $43,000 for charities. Jimmy Bradley is a rock star recycler and an all-round good person. Congratulations Jimmy! And thank you for all that you do!
Jim Bradley Recycling Depot News Release
Victoria County Council approved the following grants to organizations: Community Grants 2020-2021
Municipal offices in the Baddeck Courthouse will reopen to the public beginning June 15, 2020; COVID-19 protocols will be in place.
Please call 902-295-3231 and make an appointment if you wish to meet with one of our staff. No appointment is necessary for those making payments at the Tax Office.
Please follow our social distancing protocols.
Thank you for your patience.